- 1 5th_Network_Interface_on_grisou_cluster, using a white box switch
- 2 Persistent Virtual Machine for Grid'5000 users
- 3 Grid'5000 Usage Policy updated
- 4 New production cluster in Nancy (grele)
- 5 Engineer positions available on Grid'5000 !
- 6 Grid'5000 software list updated
- 7 Grid'5000 services portfolio now available
- 8 Nvidia GTX 1080Ti GPUs now available in Lille
- 9 Connect to Grid'5000 with your browser
- 10 Debian Stretch minimal image available in beta
- 11 New "OSIRIM" storage space available to Grid'5000 users
- 12 The new disk reservation feature is available for beta testing
- 13 3rd Network Interface on paranoia cluster
- 14 Changing job walltime
- 15 New cluster "nova" available at Lyon
- 16 Grid'5000 events in your calendaring application
- 17 New clusters available in Lille
- 18 Standard environment updated (v2017011315)
- 19 Grid'5000 News now available as RSS
- 20 Deployments API changes
- 21 Grid'5000 winter school now finished
- 22 10 year later, the Grid'5000 school returns to Grenoble
- 23 Grid'5000 co-organizing the SUCCES 2015 event
5th_Network_Interface_on_grisou_cluster, using a white box switch
A 5th network interface is now connected on grisou¹, providing a 1 Gbps link, as opposed to the first four interfaces that provide 10 Gbps links.
Those interfaces are connected to a Dell S3048 Open Networking switch. Alternative operating systems are available for this switch. While we did not make specific developments to facilitate their use, please talk with us if you are interested in getting control over the switch in order to experiment on alternative software stacks.
-- Grid'5000 Team 17:00, 8 November 2017 (CET)
Persistent Virtual Machine for Grid'5000 users
We are happy to announce the availability of persistent virtual machines in Grid'5000: each user can now get one virtual machine that will run permanently (outside of OAR reservations). We envision that this will be helpful to host the stable/persistent part of long-running experiments.
More details are available here : https://www.grid5000.fr/mediawiki/index.php/Persistent_Virtual_Machine
-- Grid'5000 Team 10:00, 7 November 2017 (CET)
Grid'5000 Usage Policy updated
The Grid'5000 Usage Policy has been updated.
In a nutshell, all usage that was previously allowed is still allowed after this update.
However, there are several changes to help increase usage of resources that are immediately available.
- Jobs of duration shorter or equal to one hour, whose submission is done less than 10 minutes before the job starts, are excluded from daily quotas.
- This means that one can always reserve resources for up to one hour when they are immediately available.
- Similarly, job extensions requested less than 10 minutes before the end of the job, and for a duration of one hour or less, are also excluded from daily quotas. Those extensions can be renewed several times (always during the last 10 minutes of the job).
- This means that, when resources are still available, one can always extend jobs for up to one hour.
- Crossing the 19:00 boundary is allowed for jobs submitted at or after 17:00 the same day. The portion of those jobs from 17:00 to 19:00 is excluded from daily quotas.
- This means that if at 17:00 or later on a given day, resources are not reserved for the following night, then it is possible to reserve them and start the night job earlier.
- Crossing the 9:00 boundary is allowed for jobs submitted on the same day. But the portion of those jobs after 9:00 is still included in the daily quota.
- This means that when resources are free in the morning, people are free to start working earlier.
Note that with those changes, it might become harder to get resources if you do not plan at least one hour ahead.
Another change is that the usage policy now includes rules for disk reservations.
Comments about those new rules are welcomed on the users mailing list.
-- Grid'5000 Team 14:00, 21 September 2017 (CET)
New production cluster in Nancy (grele)
We are glad to announce that a new cluster with 14 compute nodes is ready in the production queue in Nancy ! There are 2 Nvidia GTX 1080Ti per node, providing a total of 100352 GPU cores. They are also equipped with :
- 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 (2.2GHz, 12C/24T)
- 128GB of RAM
- 2x 300GB SAS HDD 15K rpm
Intel Omni-Path network 100Gbps is not available yet, but should be soon. Note that, Grimani cluster will take advantage of this High speed Low latency network too.
This new High-End cluster, named "Grele", is jointly supported by CPER IT2MP (Innovations Technologiques, Modélisation et Médecine Personnalisée) and CPER LCHN (Langues, Connaissances & Humanités Numériques).
PS : At the moment grele-13 and grele-14 don't have GPUs, but they should arrive really soon ! PS2 : As a reminder, rules for the production queue : https://www.grid5000.fr/mediawiki/index.php/Grid5000:UsagePolicy#Rules_for_the_production_queue
-- Grid'5000 Team 14:00, 10 July 2017 (CET)
Engineer positions available on Grid'5000 !
-- Grid'5000 Team 14:00, 5 July 2017 (CET)
Grid'5000 software list updated
The Software page of the Grid'5000 wiki received a major overhaul. It lists many pieces of software of interest to Grid'5000 users, developed by the Grid'5000 community or the Grid'5000 team.
Please don't hesitate to suggest additions to that list!
-- Grid'5000 Team 13:00, 27 June 2017 (CET)
Grid'5000 services portfolio now available
The Grid'5000 services portfolio (in french: offre de service) is now available. This document (in french only, sorry), prepared by the architects committee together with the technical team, lists all services provided by Grid'5000 to its users. Those services are ranked according to their importance, measured as the resolution delay the team is aiming for when something breaks.
This first version is a good opportunity to provide feedback about missing services, over-inflated priority, under-evaluated priority, etc. Please tell us what is important for your experiments!
-- Grid'5000 Team 14:32, 22 June 2017 (CET)
Nvidia GTX 1080Ti GPUs now available in Lille
We are glad to announce that 16 GPUs have been added to the chifflet cluster. There are 2 Nvidia GTX 1080Ti per node, providing a total of 57344 gpu-cores.
This takes place in the context of the "Advanced data science and technologies" CPER project in which Inria invests, with the support of the regional council of the Hauts de France, the FEDER and the State.
-- Grid'5000 Team 16:00, 14 June 2017 (CET)
Connect to Grid'5000 with your browser
We are pleased to announce a new feature which we hope will ease the first steps on Grid5000. You can now get a shell through a web interface at this address: https://intranet.grid5000.fr/shell/SITE/ . For example, for the Lille site, use: https://intranet.grid5000.fr/shell/lille/ To connect you will have to type in your credentials twice (first for the HTTP proxy, then for the SSH connection).
-- Grid'5000 Team 11:00, 9 June 2017 (CET)
Debian Stretch minimal image available in beta
Grid'5000 provides a minimal image of Debian Stretch, featuring Linux 4.9, from now on in beta testing. If you use it and encounter problems, please send a report to : email@example.com
We are also currently working on the other variants of Stretch images (-base, -std, -xen, -big), as well as improvements such as support for predictable network interfaces names. Stay tuned for more information in few weeks.
-- Grid'5000 Team 17:00, 23 May 2017 (CET)
New "OSIRIM" storage space available to Grid'5000 users
A new remote storage is available from frontends and nodes (in default environment or deployed -nfs and -big) under "/srv/osirim/<your_username>" directory.
It provides a persistent storage space of 200GB of storage to every users (using NFS and automount). If needed, more space can be requested by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This storage is kindly provided by the OSIRIM project, from Toulouse IRIT lab.
-- Grid'5000 Team 10:00, 15 May 2017 (CET)
The new disk reservation feature is available for beta testing
In order to leave large datasets on nodes between experiments, a disk reservation service has been developed, and is now available for beta testing on the grimoire cluster in Nancy.
See this page for more details.
The service will be extended to other clusters after the beta testing phase.
-- Grid'5000 Team 15:00, 10 May 2017 (CET)
3rd Network Interface on paranoia cluster
Users can now use the 3rd network interface on cluster paranoia at Rennes. Eth0 and eth1 provide 10G and eth2 a gigabit ethernet connection¹.
We remind you that grisou and grimoire clusters have 4 interfaces 10G in Nancy.
¹ For more details, see Rennes:Network
-- Grid'5000 Team 15:00, 09 May 2017 (CET)
Changing job walltime
The latest OAR version installed in Grid'5000 now provides the functionality to request a change to the walltime of a running job (duration of the resource reservation). Such a change is granted with respect to the resources occupation by other jobs and the resulting job characteristics still have to comply with the Grid'5000 Usage Policy¹. You may use the oarwalltime command or use the Grid'5000 API to request or query the status of such a change for a job. See the Grid'5000 tutorials and API documentation for more information.
¹ Rules from the Usage Policy still apply on the modified job. We are however considering changing the Usage Policy to take the new feature into account, and would welcome ideas toward doing that. Please feel free to make suggestions on email@example.com.
-- Grid'5000 Team 10:00, 20 March 2017 (CET)
New cluster "nova" available at Lyon
We have the pleasure to announce that a new cluster called "nova" is available at Lyon. It features 23 Dell R430 nodes with 2 Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4, 8C/16T, 32GB DDR4, 2x300GB SAS and 10Gbps Ethernet. Energy monitoring is available for this cluster, provided by the same devices used for the other clusters in Lyon.
This cluster has been funded by Inria Rhône-Alpes.
-- Grid'5000 Team 10:00, 20 March 2017 (CET)
Grid'5000 events in your calendaring application
Grid'5000 events, such as maintenance operations or service disruptions are published on the events page (https://www.grid5000.fr/status/). You see the summary of this page on Grid'5000's homepage, but could also get information through a RSS feed. Since last week, events are also published as an ical feed (), to which you can subscribe most calendaring applications such as Zimbra or Thunderbird's Lightning extension.
--Grid'5000 Team 13:00, 10 March 2017 (CET)
New clusters available in Lille
We have the pleasure to announce that new clusters are available on Lille's site :
- chetemi in reference to "Bienvenue chez les ch'tis" : 15 R630 nodes with 2 Xeon E5-2630 v4, 20C/40T, 256GB DDR4, 2x300GB SAS
- chifflet : 8 R730 nodes with 2 Xeon E5-2680 v4, 28C/56T, 768GB DDR4, 2x400GB SAS SSD, 2x4TB SATA
These nodes are connected with 10Gb Ethernet to a Cisco Nexus9000 switch (reference: 93180YC-EX)
The renewal of the Lille's site take place in the context of the CPER "Advanced data science and technologies" project in which Inria invest, with the support of the regional council of the Hauts de France, the FEDER and the State.
-- Grid'5000 Team 15:00, 02 March 2017 (CET)
Standard environment updated (v2017011315)
This week, we updated the standard environment to a new version (2017011315), this one includes a ganglia module to monitor NVIDIA GPUs, you can now watch GPU usage on ganglia webpage (For example : Ganglia graphique-1 )
We also updated other variants :
- Ceph installation has been moved from [base] to [big]
- libguestfs-tools has been removed from [big]
- CUDA version has been updated to 8.0.44 [big]
- Nvidia Driver has been updated to 375.26 [big]
- linux-tools package has been installed from [big]
-- Grid'5000 Team 15:00, 16 January 2017 (CET)
Grid'5000 News now available as RSS
Because mails to the users mailing list are lost to users joining Grid'5000, the technical team will now share Grid'5000 news using a blog like format. A RSS link is available from the News page, at this URL.
-- Grid'5000 Team 15:00, 20 December 2016 (CET)
Deployments API changes
-- Grid'5000 Team 15:11, 25 October 2016 (CET)
Grid'5000 winter school now finished
The Grid'5000 spring school took place between February 2nd, 2016 and February 5th, 2016 in Grenoble. Two awards were given for presentation entries:
- Best presentation award to Houssem-Eddine Chihoub and Christine Collet for their work on A scalability comparaison study of smart meter data management approaches (slides)
- Most promising experiment to Anna Giannakou for her work Towards Self Adaptable Security Monitoring in IaaS Clouds (slides)
-- Grid'5000 Team 15:11, 25 February 2016 (CET)
10 year later, the Grid'5000 school returns to Grenoble
10 year after the first edition of the Grid'5000 school, we invite the Grid'5000 community to take part in the Grid'5000 winter School 2016, February 2-5, 2016.
-- Grid'5000 Team 15:11, 25 December 2015 (CET)
Grid'5000 co-organizing the SUCCES 2015 event
These will take place November 5-6, 2015, in Paris. Dedicated to users of grid, cloud or regional HPC centers, the SUCCES 2015 days are organised by France Grilles, Grid'5000, Groupe Calcul and GDR ASR.
-- Grid'5000 Team 15:11, 25 October 2015 (UTC)
See also older news.