Grid'5000 is a large-scale and versatile testbed for experiment-driven research in all areas of computer science, with a focus on parallel and distributed computing including Cloud, HPC and Big Data.
- provides access to a large amount of resources: 12000 cores, 800 compute-nodes grouped in homogeneous clusters, and featuring various technologies: GPU, SSD, NVMe, 10G and 25G Ethernet, Infiniband, Omni-Path
- highly reconfigurable and controllable: researchers can experiment with a fully customized software stack thanks to bare-metal deployment features, and can isolate their experiment at the networking layer
- advanced monitoring and measurement features for traces collection of networking and power consumption, providing a deep understanding of experiments
- designed to support Open Science and reproducible research, with full traceability of infrastructure and software changes on the testbed
- a vibrant community of 500+ users supported by a solid technical team
Read more about our teams, our publications, and the usage policy of the testbed. Then get an account, and learn how to use the testbed with our Getting Started tutorial and the rest of our Users portal.
Recently published documents and presentations:
Grid'5000 is supported by a scientific interest group (GIS) hosted by Inria and including CNRS, RENATER and several Universities as well as other organizations. Inria has been supporting Grid'5000 through ADT ALADDIN-G5K (2007-2013), ADT LAPLACE (2014-2016), and IPL HEMERA (2010-2014).
Current status (at 2019-04-19 11:08)
: 2 current events, None planned (details)
Random pick of publications
Five random publications that benefited from Grid'5000 (at least 1729 overall):
- Mar Callau-Zori, Lavinia Samoila, Anne-Cécile Orgerie, Guillaume Pierre. An experiment-driven energy consumption model for virtual machine management systems. Sustainable Computing : Informatics and Systems, Elsevier, In press. hal-01632962 view on HAL pdf
- Francesco Lamperti, Andrea Roventini, Amir Sani. Agent-Based Model Calibration using Machine Learning Surrogates. Économie et finance quantitative. 2017. hal-01499344 view on HAL pdf
- Matias Martinez, Thomas Durieux, Romain Sommerard, Jifeng Xuan, Martin Monperrus. Automatic Repair of Real Bugs in Java: A Large-Scale Experiment on the Defects4J Dataset. Empirical Software Engineering, Springer Verlag, 2017, 22 (4), pp.1936-1964. 10.1007/s10664-016-9470-4. hal-01387556 view on HAL pdf pdf pdf pdf
- Tanguy Kerdoncuff, Alberto Blanc, Nicolas Montavont. Using Empirically Validated Simulations to Control 802.11 Access Point Density. WCNC 2017 : IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, Mar 2017, San Francisco, United States. Proceedings WCNC 2017 : IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, pp.1 - 6, 2017, 10.1109/WCNC.2017.7925888. hal-01534795 view on HAL pdf
- Ronan Fablet, Nicolas Bellec, Laetitia Chapel, Chloé Friguet, René Garello, et al.. Next Step for Big Data Infrastructure and Analytics for the Surveillance of the Maritime Traffic from AIS & Sentinel Satellite Data Streams. BiDS' 2017 - Conference on Big Data from Space, Nov 2017, Toulouse, France. pp.1-4. hal-01671323 view on HAL pdf
Pierre Neyron awarded Médaille de Cristal du CNRS
Pierre Neyron, who has been a member of the Grid'5000 technical staff since the early years of the project, has been awarded the "Médaille de Cristal de CNRS".
Quoting http://www.cnrs.fr/fr/talents/cnrs?medal=42 :
La médaille de cristal distingue les ingénieurs, techniciens et agents administratifs qui, par leur créativité, leur maîtrise technique et leur sens de l'innovation, contribuent aux côtés des chercheurs à l'avancée des savoirs et à l'excellence de la
-- Grid'5000 Team 13:00, 16 April 2019 (CET)
New group storage service in beta testing, to replace storage5k
In order provide large, persistent and shareable storage among a group of user, we are introducing a new storage service.
This service is now available for beta testing at Lille: if you need to store large amounts of data in Grid'5000, we recommend that you try it!
See https://www.grid5000.fr/w/Group_Storage for details.
The service will be extended to some other sites after the beta testing phase.
This service aims at replacing storage5k, and existing storage5k services will be shutdown.
On Nancy and Luxembourg, the storage5k service will be retired on 2019-03-19, to free space in the server room for new machines.
Other storage5k servers (on other sites) will be shutdown after the end of the beta phase of the new service.
If you are currently using Storage5k, your best options are:
- move data to your home directory (after requesting a disk quota extension if needed)
- move data to OSIRIM
- move data to the group storage service in Lille
See https://www.grid5000.fr/w/Storage for an overview of our storage options.
(Note that we currently have two open issues with quota extensions and OSIRIM. If you submit a quota extension but do not receive a reply, or if you cannot access OSIRIM, please contact email@example.com)
-- Grid'5000 Team 15:00, 14 March 2019 (CET)
Support of Jumbo frames now available
We are pleased to announce that all network equipments of Grid'5000 are now configured to support Jumbo frames (that is, large ethernet frames). We support an MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) of 9000 bytes everywhere (including between Grid'5000 sites).
By default the reference and standard environments are still configured with a default MTU of 1500, but you can change the configuration (ip link set dev <device> mtu 9000) if needed. The same MTU value works from inside KaVLAN networks.
-- Grid'5000 Team 16:10, 06 March 2019 (CET)
Read more news
As from June 2008, Inria is the main contributor to Grid'5000 funding.
Université Grenoble Alpes, Grenoble INP
Université Rennes 1, Rennes
Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse / INSA / FERIA / Université Paul Sabatier, Toulouse
Université Bordeaux 1, Bordeaux
Université Lille 1, Lille
École Normale Supérieure, Lyon
Provence Alpes Côte d'Azur
Hauts de France